Body language can reveal a lot about our inner-self, even during sleep. Numerous sleep studies and surveys have drawn parallels between sleeping positions, personality traits, and even our health!
Here’s a snapshot of what your sleeping position says about you.
Sleep experts claim side sleeping is the healthiest way to sleep, since this position can improve digestion, relieve snoring and help those with hip and lower back pain.
It’s also touted as the optimum sleeping position for pregnant women, as it’s associated with improved fetal health. There are three main side sleeping positions:
1. Fetal - The preferred choice, especially for women, this position tends to be adopted by those who are sensitive on the inside but tough on the outside. Fetal position sleepers also tend to be quite personable, though they may seem shy upon first meeting.
2. Log – Lying with arms by their side, these sleepers tend to be social, trusting, laid back and easy going, though they may also be considered gullible. This is a fairly common sleeping position, though not as common as the fetal position.
3. Yearner – Similar in position to the log, these sleepers lie with their arms extended in front of them. Yearners are typically open-minded individuals who struggle to make up their minds, but once they do, they’ll stick to it. This sleeping position is also similar in popularity to loggers.
Sleeping on your back distributes body weight evenly, so this position can relieve pain by taking pressure off your spine and hips, promoting a more restful night’s sleep.
This position can also help avoid face wrinkles as your face isn’t pressed into a pillow. This might sound like the perfect way to sleep but it’s also regularly associated with snoring. So while you may wake up feeling refreshed, your partner may not!
Pro tip: Placing a rolled towel or small pillow under your knees can help you spine maintain its slight curvature.
The two main types of back sleepers are:
1. Soldier – Laying with arms by their side, these sleepers tend to be strong, silent and structured people. They often have high expectations for themselves and others, and may take themselves a bit too seriously! It’s estimated that around 11% of us sleep in this position.
2. Starfish – If you sleep with your arms up and legs apart, then you’re definitely a starfish! This unconventional style is associated with a loyal personality, the types of people who make relationships a priority and love to be supportive.
Sleeping on your stomach isn’t recommended as it can contribute to back and neck pain. If your head faces one direction, it won’t be long till you notice daytime stiffness.
In this position, losing your regular pillow or using a flat pillow can help with any potential neck pain, and adding a pillow under the pelvis can alleviate back stiffness. A firmer mattress may also help.
1. Skydiver – Arms wrapped behind a pillow and head to one side, these sleepers are likely to have playful and fun personalities. They are usually direct and straight to the point, which may come across as brash. They can seem free spirited, though are often secretly anxious and control freaks.
Our recommended sleep position: Under a DORMU Weighted Blanket.
No matter what you’re favourite sleeping position is, a surefire way to level up your sleep is a with one of our weighted blankets. Here are just a few of the reasons why!
1. Combat Anxiety
The hug like sensation from evenly distributed weight across the body, reduces cortisol levels, the hormone associated with anxiety and stress. This means you can snuggle up under a blanket, feeling more relaxed and ready for sleep after a long stressful day.
2. Boost Melatonin
The science behind weighted blankets supports increased melatonin production, the hormone responsible for initiating the onset of sleep. This makes our blanket the natural solution to low melatonin levels.
3. Say Goodbye to sweating
No one enjoys sleeping when they’re too hot and sweaty! At DORMU, we’ve gone to great lengths to ensure our weighted blankets are made from the most breathable, thermoregulating fabrics – keeping you cool and fresh all year round.
Try out your own DORMU Bamboo Cooling Weighted Blanket with our 60-night trial!